Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Day 1 by Charmaine Stansall

UCSD GELS Blog - Day 1

The first step onto the plane was the last step out of my comfort zone. I was finally on my journey to the island of Hawaii, a life-long dream. I’ve previously attended multiple programs in which I’ve had to leave my security blanket (San Diego) and embark upon a new journey, but the abrupt change of starting the program in a new place I’m not yet accustomed to was a problematic fear. However, since I had attended the Washington D. C. program the year prior to this summer I knew what was in store. When I left that program I had the self-set goal of growing my confidence in myself to be able to meet new people and participate in presentations and group discussions without resorting back to my shy tendencies. With this goal in mind, I was ready to walk into the airport to greet new faces, engage in fun conversations, and even step onto the plane with new friends.  

Building the basis of my relationships with classmates and instructors wasn’t the only challenging yet satisfying portion of today. I was enthralled when I found out I would be learning about the roots of many Hawaiian words as well as moon phases. I’ve always been fond of Hawaiian music and have been interested in learning some of the language but I was surprised to learn that the native Hawaiian vocabulary takes on a different meanings. After a delicious Hawaiian dinner, I learned that the words utilize different roots to portray a meaning. I also discovered that Hawaiians believe in honoring connections between them and their environment and resources. By keeping this in mind I hope to build upon my knowledge of sustainability by observing how native Hawaiians maintain a balance in the resources they use.

Although today remained challenging and strenuous from beginning to end, I believe each component was necessary in order for me to benefit. By beginning my week with strong bonds with classmates and with a basis of knowledge about the Hawaiian culture, I hope to advance further in my journey here. Today might’ve just been the beginning, but I ended it with new found friends and a beautiful view of the island. 

                    

No comments:

Post a Comment