Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Day 7 by Mariana

Today we were able to make a trip to Holoholokai Beach where we participated in four different stations. The activities covered topics including fish identification, reef health, measurement of water quality, and biodiversity. All these stations helped give us a better understanding of marine life through first hand observations.

One station that stood out to me the most was the fish identification station. This particular activity was a bittersweet experience. When James was handing us out snorkel gear and designating the fish that we would individually observe, it hit me. It hit me that I was actually going to get into the ocean and snorkel. Something I've always been unsure of had finally made its way to me. I had never swam in the ocean and the simple fact that I was going to swim among the vibrant coral reefs and marine life made me excited yet afraid. It was definitely a situation in which I had to take a big step out of my comfort zone. I was glad that I wasn't alone. Susan was by my side through it all. It was a great experience and I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the water exploring the marine life.


Overall, this experience made me realize that I shouldn't let fear take over because opportunities like snorkeling in Hawaii don't arise often. I learned the importance of enjoying the moment and flowing freely without worries. Most importantly, it opened my eyes to the significance and beauty that coral life bring to ocean life. Coral bleaching is an issue that we all have to acknowledge and research more in order to address it to keep our beaches and marine life healthy. I have to say that snorkeling at the beautiful beach of Holoholokai was one of the most fascinating experiences I have ever had and I loved every second of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment