Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Day 8 by Karina

 As we come to the end of our journey, I've learned many things. Hawai'i is not what we see on a 50' inch screen with the hula girls and the nice beaches, it's more than that. It's about the people who live here and the many learning experiences that Hawai'i offers each and every single one of us. This week has taught me a lot whether it's from seeing myself in a different perspective to appreciating every single thing that we have in life. At the end of the day WE depend on nature, nature does not depend on us.

Today was more than I had ever expected. Life is not always about being on your phone 24/7, it's about observing what surrounds you. It's about sharing the same feelings and common purpose of saving OUR home. It's about learning the Mo'oelis that have been passed through many generations and taking that information to learn about core values. As Aunty Lehua shared life stories, I realized that I want to stand up for the same cause she believes in and preserve what we still have left. To not let walls divide our cultures or telescopes on Mouna Kea from ruining our ecosystems. Swimming next to a handful of turtles was one of the most amazing things that I have ever done in my life. Taking those fifteen minutes out of my day to sit and listen to the calling of the waves and watching the jumping fish soar out of the water was such a serene scene that can not be explain with words. Fifteen minutes can change your life.


I truly believe that I have left my mark in Hawai'i- someday I WILL return. This place has revived all the more reasons why I still have faith in humanity and showed me the love I have for nature. Mohalo to all of the beautiful, inspiring individuals that made this trip one for the books. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment