Monday, August 8, 2016

Day 6 by Mia

International House of Pancakes, or IHOP for short. Here in Hilo, Hawaii IHOP might not be around the corner, but what there is here is a small comfortable and retro restaurant named Ken’s Pancake House. This restaurant is the definition of what Californians call, “Hawaiian” because of it’s eye catching colorful walls decorated with endless black and white photographs of many customers with their families. Also what added that little extra to the “Hawaiian” feel was the instant welcoming feeling you felt once you walked into the restaurant, especially from the waitress who was so caring and humble when she approached our table and said, “Aloha, good morning how are you guys doing today?” That gesture was very kind and generous of her to ask because the restaurant, already at 7 am was so full, and for her to ask how we were feeling was very thoughtful.

As the waitress was handing out menus my friend Keila and I were taking photographs of the photographs on the wall and turning them into hilarious memes. Finally, I took a look at menu and decided that I would be trying the ‘kokonut pancakes’. The pancakes consisted of shredded coconut mixed into the buttermilk pancake mix topped with more shredded coconut and powdered sugar. What shocked me the most about these pancakes were not only how delicious and delightful they were, but how massive and thick they were in size. 

The size of the pancakes left me speechless. They were so delicious that it left me wanting more but unfortunately I couldn't fit any more into my mouth since I was so full.      
Finally, after having a very humongous and delicious pancake it was time for the whole group to leave and I was extremely sad because I had to leave my pancakes behind. I felt as if the world was ending but I walked out with a grin on my face. This moment was bittersweet because I wanted to finish eating this delicious food, but I knew if I tried to finish my plate I would be sick for days.

This humble experience of just going down to a restaurant around the corner of UHH and interchanging laughs, bigger than life food, and hilarious memes via snapchat. I very much loved this experience because it made me feel special and loved by all my friends and peers. If I had the opportunity to be with these wonderful people again, I would without a doubt.


No comments:

Post a Comment